Western Container Corporation Production Supervisor
Job Title: Production Supervisor
Reports To: Plant Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
GENERAL PURPOSE OF JOB
The production supervisor is responsible for creating a safe work environment through maintaining the equipment and facility. Supervises production staff to ensure streamline processes and ensure standards are being met. Oversee and plan the company’s production operations. Ensure all manufacturing goes smoothly and efficiently by monitoring how employees organize their workflows. Ensure that machines are functional and the production facilities adhere to safety standards.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES The following statements reflect the general details necessary to describe the major functions of this position and are not intended to be a detailed description of all the work/functions that may be required. Other duties may be assigned.
- Enforce safety and sanitation regulations.
- Direct and coordinate the activities of employees engaged in the production or processing of goods, such as inspectors, machine setters, or fabricators.
- Confer with other supervisors to coordinate operations and activities within or between departments.
- Plan and establish work schedules, assignments, and production sequences to meet production goals.
- Requisition materials, supplies, equipment parts, or repair services.
- Maintain operations data, such as time, production, and cost records, and prepare management reports of production results.
- Determine standards, budgets, production goals, and rates, based on company policies, equipment and labor availability, and workloads.
- Confer with management or subordinates to resolve worker problems, complaints, or grievances.
- Set up and adjust machines and equipment.
- Responsible for supervising shift operations including equipment assembly and the oversight of safety in all areas of the shop floor
- Define training requirements and progression based on employee evaluations
- Manage employees in accordance with company rules and regulations
- Provide leadership and direction to production employees by actively working with and effectively communicating to ensure quality product.
- Maintain production requirements while minimizing scrap levels.
- Develop process improvements through employee involvement and support all plant continuous improvement efforts as assigned.
- Ensure that all products are manufactured in accordance to customer specifications and approved processes.
- Accurate and timely completion of all shift paperwork and reports
- Issue process improvements and cost reductions as required
- Support root cause analysis and proper resolution to conflict.
- Responsible for supervising machine operators.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required.
- Associate degree in mechanical, electrical or industrial maintenance preferred.
- Three years of related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to write simple correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
- Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Ability to stand greater than 2/3 of the time.
- Ability to walk greater than 2/3 of the time.
- Ability to sit less than 1/3 of the time.
- Ability to use hands greater than 2/3 of the time.
- Ability to reach with hands and arms 1/3 – 2/3 of the time.
- Ability to climb or balance 1/3 – 2/3 of the time.
- Ability to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl 1/3 – 2/3 of the time.
- Ability to talk and hear greater than 2/3 of the time.
- Ability to push or pull up to 50 pounds 1/3 – 2/3 of the time.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds 1/3 – 2/3 of the time.
- Ability to lift up to 100 pounds 1/3 – 2/3 of the time.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The normal work environment is a manufacturing facility.
- Noise in the manufacturing environment is moderately loud with machinery and forklift traffic.
- Employees are exposed to warm and cool temperatures based on weather conditions.
I have carefully read and understand the contents of this job description. I understand the responsibilities, requirements and duties expected of me. I understand that this is not necessarily an exhaustive list of responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts or working conditions associated with the job. While this list is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, the Employer reserves the right to revise the functions and duties of the job or to require that additional or different tasks be performed as directed by the Employer. I understand that I may occasionally be required to work overtime, different shifts or hours outside the normally defined workday or workweek. I also understand that this job description does not constitute a contract of employment nor alter my status as an at-will employee. I have the right to terminate my employment at any time and for any reason, and the Employer has a similar right.